Australian Humanitarian Visa

Refugee visas (offshore)

To be eligible for the refugee visas you must:

  • be outside Australia (offshore)
  • meet the United Nations definition of a refugee
  • be subject to persecution in your home country

You can apply for 1 of 4 refugee visa subclasses:

The visa pages have information about how the Australian Government will help you:

  • prepare for travel to Australia
  • prepare for life in Australia
  • settle in the Australian community

Rejoin your split family

If your immediate family members are already in Australia they may help bring you to Australia by ‘proposing’ your visa application.

We call this a ‘split family’ application. We give split family applications special consideration.

An immediate family member may include your:

  • spouse or de facto partner (including same-sex partner)
  • dependent child or stepchild
  • parent or step-parent if you are younger than 18

Your immediate family members in Australia are only eligible to propose your split family application if they hold 1 of the following:

  • Protection visa (subclass 866)
  • Refugee visa (subclass 200, 201, 202, 203, 204)
  • Resolution of Status visa (subclass 851)

They must also:

  • have been a member of your immediate family when we granted their visa
  • have told us about your relationship before we granted their visa
  • still be a member of your family
  • propose your visa application within 5 years of us granting their visa

Illegal Maritime Arrivals who arrived in Australia on or after 13 August 2012 may not propose applications for family members.